Sunday, March 11, 2012

Buying In

Well, I bought in to Weight Watchers last Thursday. I had an extra $60 since my check was really good and all my bills were paid. I've known a few people that have lost a lot of weight on the program, and I need to try. I'm 100 pounds over weight, and I've got to start somewhere.
See, I have a problem with the follow through. Part of the reason I decided to sign up for the online program is because it's so easy and tech savvy. Meetings with strangers and weighing in and getting "support" really isn't my cup of tea. But being able to track all my points on my phone, it's really too easy to fuck up.
I started out at 279 pounds with 46 points. The deal is that I can eat whatever I want as long as I stick within my point allowance. There is a calculator that I can enter the fat, fiber, carbohydrates, and protein of whatever I want to eat, and the calculator will give me the points value. While doing my online research, I found a few websites that gave me the exact mathematical formula to figure the points on my own, but I'm not going to invest that much time working the math of every single thing I eat. The calculator really makes this program fool proof.
After a little research, I went to the store and stocked up on a bunch of low point foods to eat. All fruit and vegetables are free, and I found some great buys that I can eat all day long. There are soups and frozen dinners that are delicious and low on points, and recipes I'm excited to try out.
I feel like I'm selling out, but the truth is that I'm buying in. The diet industry makes millions every year on people like me, and it's not something I'm proud of. I'd like to think that I have more will power than I do, but I don't. If I don't have an easy plan there's no way I'm going to stick to it.
What's really great is that my man friend is totally supportive. He's not one to "waist money" on a website that he'll never use, but there's going to be changes with the way we eat dinner. I figured out he can have about 54 points a day, and although he won't be keeping track online, he's willing to keep track in a food journal and I can calculate the points for him.
And speaking of dinner, I went to applebees last night with a coworker, and I ordered the spicy shrimp and rice, and it was DELICIOUS and only 8 points! The downer: my long island iced tea was almost 30 points. I couldn't bring myself to finish it all and blow my points for the day, so I made my coworker help me finish it so I only had to claim 15 points.
Last week, I went to dinner with a friend at the same restaurant, but I had 5 long islands, and the appetizer platter...all by myself. Then I came home and ate an entire chocolate bar in bed while watching tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment