Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines

My man friend doesn't believe in valentines day. He never has, and has made it very clear that he would never be going out of his way to do something special for me on purpose February 14th. Ever.
As harsh as that sounds, and as heart broken as alot of women would be, I have to agree with him. It's a commercial holiday, and we don't need it. We are romantic enough as is. We smuggle, and we trade back/shoulder/foot massages about once a week. We leave each other love notes scattered around the apartment, on the fridge, and scrawled in sharpie on my bathroom mirror. I wear sexy bras and panties pretty often, so it's not like I would be surprising him with something unexpected (more importantly, nothing I'd feel foolish, fat, and uncomfortable in). We make each other nice dinners because we want to, and he brings home flowers more often than all the guys I've dated combined. We have date nights about once a month, but because we love each others company and we have so much fun, it's like every night is date night. After 5 years, we're getting better all the time.
Last weekend, I got sick. It's just the usual crap that comes along at least twice a year, where my ears itch, my throat hurts, and I barely move from the couch to the bed for 48 hours. I turn into this pitiful hideous snot monster, but he still wants to kiss me.
He called me before he left work and joked about how terrible I sounded. He told me that he was in a Starbucks war with a girl he works with, and he wanted to know exactly how to say my drink so he could out Starbucks her before he came home. So i told him to grab a pen, "venti skinny upside down white chocolate mocha extra hot no whip". I squeaked out that 17 syllables would surely win him the war.
Well, low and behold, he came home with my venti skinny upside down white chocolate mocha extra hot no whip. Not only did it melt the pain from my throat momentarily, it also melted my heart. I know it's just coffee, but it's MY favorite coffee. And this is not a man who drinks much coffee at all, much less $7 coffee.

So yesterday, Valentines day, I called in sick with my sickness. We stayed in bed till 3pm, and I drank hot tea and littered the floor beside my bed with used tissues. Finally, when we talked ourselves into making a move, we decided to run some errands. We went to make his truck payment, and we window shopped for a little while. I wanted to go to Charming Charlies (this amazing little accessories store that's organized by color-GENIUS-that's super inexpensive-nothing over $40, and most everything under $20). I frequently buy obscure jewelry, that my mother refers to as "tacky." I have owl necklaces and big over sized flower rings and rhinestone studded big bird rings. My man friend thinks it's awesome, and he loves that I wear weird things. When I told him they were opening a CC in town, he pinpointed exactly where it's going to be. When I told him I wanted to see if it was open yet, he replied, "it's not."
"How do you know?"
"Because I checked already."
"When?!"
"Two days ago, and two days before that, and two days before that. Just trust me."
I'm so excited that he's going to buy me a present from there! Knowing him, he's going to buy me lots of little things from there from now on. Because he's thoughtful and amazing like that.
Later that night we went out to eat on a double date with his brother and his new girlfriend. It was one of those mexican food places where you stand in line and build your own burritos, so nothing super fancy. I was barely wearing makeup, and I still felt like poop. After that, we played a few games of pool and went home. We sat on the couch and before we knew it, 5 hours had passed. That's what it's like with him, hours fly by like minutes.

I could go on and on about how wonderful he is, and how much I absolutely adore him, but it's safe to assume that it would make you gag, whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment